In honor of Women's History Month, O2 Living's recipes throughout the month of March will focus on vegan recipes for women's health. This week we're using lentils to create a hearty soup. Lentils, along with beans and legumes, have been studied for possible protective effects against breast cancer. Additional research has shown that higher intake of legumes is linked to a lower incidence of cardiovascular disease. This spicy lentil soup recipe pairs perfectly with our sweet and tangy, organic, cold-pressed Fresh Start.
1 cup organic brown/green lentils
1 medium organic onion, chopped
4 gloves organic garlic, chopped
2 stalks organic celery, chopped
2 organic carrots, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon organic curry powder
2 teaspoons organic cumin
1 small jalapeño, seeded and diced
4 cups of organic, vegan broth
2 cups of water
1 can of organic diced tomatoes, lightly drained
1 cup of organic lacinto kale, chopped with the ribs removed
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Juice of 1 organic lemon
1. In a large pot, heat 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook until onions are translucent.
2. Add in garlic, cumin, curry powder, and jalapeño stirring for about 30 seconds. Add lightly drained diced tomatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Add in lentils, water, broth, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
4. Optional for creamy soup: remove 2 cups of the soup and purify, adding back in after blending.
5. Add in the kale and continue to cook for about 3-5 minutes. Squeeze juice of lemon over top, mix, and add any extra salt or pepper to taste. Serve hot and enjoy!
Keeping with our March theme of women's health, this week's recipe features tomatoes, red grapefruit and navel oranges. All of these contain lycopene, which has been shown to possibly protect against breast cancer. The antioxidant properties found in lycopene-rich fruits and vegetables may also help women fight against heart disease. This delicious and refreshing salad features lots of lycopene-rich fruits. Pair this tart salad with Living Juice's organic, cold-pressed sweet green juice, Pineapple Punch.
1 large organic red navel orange
1 large organic grapefruit
1 large organic tomato
Organic basil leaves, about 2-4, chopped
2 cups organic greens, either watercress, arugula or mixed salad of your choice
1/4 cup vegan "cashew" cheese (or goat cheese, for vegetarian recipe)
Vegan Italian salad dressing
Organic black pepper, for taste
Candied pecans or walnuts for topping
1. Peel orange and grapefruit. Cut both into wedges over top of a bowl, reserving any juices.
2. Cut tomato into wedges. Add the tomatoes, basil, orange, grapefruit and Italian dressing into the bowl with the juices.
3. Arrange greens over a plate and top with the citrus and tomato mixture.
4. Sprinkle vegan cheese and candied nuts over top. Add pepper to taste and serve!
Berries have countless health benefits and many for women in particular. Berries are high in vitamin C and folic acid, which are essential for all women in their childbearing years. Berries are also a great source of antioxidants, which can protect the heart and may also help with aging skin. This delicious berry smoothie combines the sweet taste of coconut with the tartness of berries. If you'd like to add in some greens, mix in 4 ounces of our organic, cold-pressed Pineapple Punch! This kale, apple and pineapple juice will add vegetables to the smoothie while keeping the taste sweet.
1 cup organic mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries...any berries you like!)
1/2 organic banana
1 cup organic coconut milk
1 teaspoon organic chia seeds
4 ounces organic, cold-pressed Pineapple Punch (optional)
Using a blender, mix all ingredients together until desired thickness is achieved. If you're looking for a thinner smoothie, try adding more coconut milk or Pineapple Punch!
Omega 3 fatty acids are beneficial and crucial to a balanced diet for women. While the go-to for omega 3 fatty acids may be wild fish, there are many plant-based options for getting your omega 3 fatty acids. Chia seeds have a healthy amount of these fatty acids and also provide fiber and protein. One easy way to get chia seeds into your diet is to use this recipe as a replacement for eggs in any baking recipe!
1 tablespoon organic chia seeds
3 tablespoons water
1. Mix together the chia seeds and the water.
2. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes, until the chia seed and water mixture has a gelatinous texture that is similar to an egg white.
3. Use this mixture to replace 1 egg in any recipes for baking.
CBD, aka hemp extract, has become popular for its many health benefits. One of the added benefits of hemp extract may make CBD the new super ingredient in skin care! Recent studies have looked into how the anti-inflammatory properties of hemp extract may reduce skin issues such as acne, eczema, itch and psoriasis. Read our blog to learn more about the benefits of adding CBD to your skin care routine!
It's the holiday season! And while that means special time with loved ones, hot cocoa, yuletide carols, and holiday cheer - it often times brings unwanted stress. This year, beat the holiday stress with 50% off of all O2 Living's Living Hemp Extract Oils! Just in time for the holidays, you can gift (yourself!) or someone special the ultimate present - a stress-free winter with Living Health and Wellness CBD oils!